For a number of years, Grays of Westminster has presented and hosted a number of comprehensive photographic seminars and workshops covering a wide variety of subject matter including Mike Maloney’s recent House of Lords Photographic Event, wildlife and natural history weekend workshops in Pembrokeshire and Sussex, flash, general photographic technique, portrait and macro training sessions, and many more.
Due to overwhelming demand, we are delighted to announce a further general photographic technique seminar to be held in central London, at Fitzroy House, 37 Fitzroy Street, London W1T 6DX on Saturday, June 5th, 2010.
The seminar will be presented by Simon Stafford, technical director of Nikon Owner magazine, and will take place from 2.00 p.m. until 5.30 p.m. The cost of the session will be £155 with a special price of £95 if you are a current Nikon Owner subscriber. To book, please email me with your full name, daytime mobile and landline, or call between 2.00 p.m. and 5.30 p.m. Monday to Friday on 020 7828 4925 or for International calls telephone + 44 (0)20 7828 4925, and ask to speak to me, Gillian Greenwood.
Agenda for the General Photographic Techniques session
Part one: Camera skills
- Understanding f/numbers & shutter speeds
- Learn how to optimise white balance and ISO
- Mastering camera menu settings
- JPEG versus RAW: the pros and cons of both
- How to achieve accurate exposures
- Understand how your camera’s metering system works
- Learn the benefits of digital histograms
- Improve your focus techniques with AF and manual focus
Part two: Shooting skills
- Learn good camera handling
- Camera support systems, tripods, monopods, and alternatives
- Understanding and using depth-of-field
- Choosing and using filters
- Imaginative use of shutter speed
- Creative use of white balance
Part three: Beyond the camera
- Planning and visualising the picture
- Techniques of composition
- Transporting photographic equipment
- Tips for location shooting
Please note: there will be ample opportunity to ask questions throughout the event.
About Simon Stafford
Simon Stafford is considered by many to be one of the foremost technical Nikon experts in the UK . With over twenty-five years of experience using the Nikon system, he brings his considerable expertise to bear both as technical editor for Nikon Owner, and as author of a number of comprehensive books on the Nikon system, including his best-seller series of Magic Lantern Guides on the Nikon D70s/D70, the Nikon D80, the Nikon D40, D40X, D50, D60, D200, D300, D700, D90, D3. The series includes a Magic Lantern Guide on the Nikon AF Speedlights & Creative Lighting System, and he is currently working on a fully updated, second edition to include the latest Nikon SB-900.
Special Nikon Owner discount off the price of the course
Enrolling on this course as a current Nikon Owner subscriber will allow you the benefit of a discount of £60 off the normal price of £155 for the session.
About Nikon Owner
Nikon Owner is a worldwide users’ group initially founded with the purpose of assisting Nikon owners to make full use of the Nikon equipment they own, to give advice on a wide spectrum of photographic queries and problems, and at the same time to offer ideas to bring about an increase in photographic skills. As a subscriber to this group, you will receive an array of offers and assistance, which includes:
Nikon Owner Magazine
Nikon Owner Magazine
Nikon Owner Magazine and Interactive Website is considered by many to be the world’s number 1 user group for Nikon owners.
Subscriber benefits include:
- Nikon Owner Magazine: a stunning, full-colour 60 page glossy quarterly magazine which is 100% Nikon.
- Subscribers’-only website with a lively forum, message board, technical equipment reviews, events’ page and use of a photo gallery.
- Simon Stafford’s Technical Helpline: free technical consultation and support from Simon Stafford, one of the top Nikon experts in the UK.
- FREE 3-year warranty on all new Nikon products from Grays of Westminster, or a free 18-month warranty on second-hand Nikon from Grays of Westminster.
- 10% off Think-Tank bags purchased at Grays of Westminster.
- Special trips: past visits have included a two-week trip to Japan and a personal tour of the Nikon factory, a visit to Nikon Thailand , Angkor Watt, Cambodia.
- Substantial discounts on events and training sessions such as Mike Maloney’s House of Lords Photographic Workshop, Heather Angel’s Wildlife & Natural History Workshops, Simon Stafford’s Definitive Flash, Portraiture and Macro Seminars, Chris Weston’s Photographic Courses, Michael Eleftheriades’ Panoramic Seminars.
- 10% off any training courses run by Nikon UK.
- A range of complimentary meetings and outings organized by local Nikon Owner Groups.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, daytime landline and mobile telephone number if you are interested in enrolling in Nikon Owner or call me after 2.00 p.m. Monday to Friday on 020 7828 4925 or for International calls, telephone + 44 (0)20 7828 4925. The cost of an annual subscription to Nikon Owner is currently only £59.
With best wishes,
Gillian ( Greenwood )
Features Editor, Events’ Coordinator