D3100 Kit 18-55 (VR): £579.99 / €687
Sales start date: End of September 2010
Nikon UK introduces the D3100, the most easy-to-use D-SLR to date, with full High Definition (HD) video.
Jordi Brinkman, Product Manager for Nikon Europe, says: “The D3100 is the successor to Europe’s best selling D-SLR, the D3000, offering 14.2 megapixels, full HD movie, Live View with new AF modes and improved ergonomics. It also has the popular Guide Mode as seen on the D3000, which now shows you sample images of what you can achieve with certain settings, for example if you change the shutter speed or aperture. This is the ideal camera for families who want to capture all the important moments in perfect quality, without worrying about settings.”
Pure and simple D-SLR for the family
The D3100 is designed for newcomers to D-SLR photography, especially young families who want to take beautiful pictures without worrying about complicated functionality. A range of automatic settings means the camera is doing all the hard work much like on a compact camera: Live View with Scene Auto Selector selects the mode that matches your shooting situation; Scene Recognition delivers sharply defined images by analyzing the scene and optimizing the camera settings immediately before the shutter is released; and Guide Mode will take you step-by-step through the process of how to get the picture you want.
The 11-point autofocus system will make sure everything is in focus and ensures razor-sharp images to capture even the most fleeting of expressions or movements. Additionally, the bright viewfinder means you can see and focus precisely on the image you want to capture, quickly and easily. Live View with Scene Auto Selector is an intuitive and familiar way of taking pictures, useful for those who have only used a compact camera, and makes it easy to compose images using the LCD monitor. Scene Auto Selector will select the best mode for the scene and subject you want to capture, and Fulltime servo AF (AF-F) mode keeps subjects in focus without the need to press the shutter release button. Live View will also recognise as many as 35 faces at a time and even if people in the frame move, the camera will continue tracking and focusing on them.
Stunning pictures in every situation
The 14.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor, new powerful EXPEED 2 processing engine and a wide range of NIKKOR lenses deliver excellent pictures with amazing detail wherever you are and whatever you are doing. It has ISO 100-3200 sensitivity, with the versatility of effectively boosting ISO up to 12800. This significantly reduces the risk of blurred images when taking pictures of the most energetic children or an evening barbeque with all the family.
Full HD movies for all the family
Using the easy-access movie record button you can instantly switch to video mode on the D3100, and the D-Movie function allows you to record stunning HD movie clips with sound. The camera’s large image sensor and high ISO sensitivity offers exceptional image quality, and the wide variety of NIKKOR lenses can be used to create cinematic effects. You can also make simple edits of your clips in-camera by deleting scenes or save specific frames as still images – nothing will be missed for the family photo album. The D3100 is also HDMI compatible so you can connect your camera to an HD television to view your movies in full HD from your sofa.
The Guide to great photos
For the newcomer to D-SLRs, the intelligent, improved Guide Mode, as seen on the D3000, gives you step-by-step instructions of how to change the camera settings. This means you not only get the picture you want but it helps you to understand how it was achieved so you can develop your photography skills. You can even view sample images of what you can expect from each setting, for example if you change the aperture or shutter speed settings.
Don’t miss a moment
The D3100 is the essential item for every family event or day out. The camera’s comprehensive technologies and tough exterior will keep up with any outing, whatever you’re doing. Its compact size and lightweight body make the D3100 easy to pack and carry around for all those unmissable moments.
- DX-format, 14.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor: The high pixel sensor will give you outstanding colour and detail in pictures and movies you’ll want to see again and again
- New EXPEED 2 image processing engine: Provides enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality. EXPEED 2 maximises CMOS sensor performance for clear, lifelike images that exhibit vivid colours, reduced noise and smooth tonal gradations for outstanding photos and movies
- High ISO (100-3200) sensitivity: Extendable up to 12800: Indoor shots or fast-moving children need never be blurry or dull again, even without a flash
- Guide Mode: Simply the easiest way to learn how to get great pictures, without having to read the manual
- D-Movie – full HD (1920 x 1080) at 24 fps movie clips: Record beautiful HD movie clips with sound and achieve exceptional image quality with high ISO sensitivity. NIKKOR lenses can be used for cinematic effects and simple edits can be made in-camera. In addition, HDMI connectivity means you can watch your HD movies on an HD television
- Live View with new AF-F mode and Scene Auto Selector: The new Live View provides an intuitive and familiar way of taking pictures and it includes a Scene Auto Selector, which automatically selects the best mode to match the scene. The AF-F mode keeps subjects in focus without the need to press the shutter release button
- 7.5 cm (3-inch) monitor: A great platform on which to share your beautiful images and movies with friends and family
- 11-point autofocus system: The quick and accurate autofocus ensures everything is in focus so you get the sharpest image
- Active D-Lighting: Bright sunshine need never wash out detail again. The balance of light and shade can be preserved forever
- Picture control: Lets you set the look and mood of your images before you shoot. You can choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape
- In-camera image and movie editing: Why wait for a PC? Retouching, filter effects and red-eye correction can be achieved in the palm of your hand
- Compact, light and durable: It’s the smallest and lightest Nikon D-SLR yet so you can sling it over your shoulder, ready for any picture or movie moment. Also, with improved ergonomics, you’ll now have direct access to shutter release, Live View and movie modes.
- Dual Integrated Dust Reduction System: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control systems keep dust away from the camera’s image sensor for clear, spot-free images
- New software, ViewNX2 will be bundled with the D3100: It inherits the basic operations of ViewNX whilst providing much enhanced operability, including a refined GUI, and a range of easy-to-use features allowing you to edit photos as well as movies
Images are available to download from www.nikon.co.uk/pressimages
Press contacts: Jenny Grace /020 8247 1797 / Jenny.email@example.com / Claudia Paul / 0208 481 6838 / firstname.lastname@example.orgFor more information about
Nikon’s award winning products, please visit www.nikon.co.uk
Founded in Japan in 1917, Nikon has grown to become the world leader in digital and precision optics technology with a strong presence in all four corners of the world.
Through its award-winning productline-up, including entry-level and professional digital SLR cameras,interchangeable NIKKOR lenses and the consumer COOLPIX range, Nikon regularly raises the standard in product design and performance. With over 90 years of engineering expertise, it is no wonder that Nikon is the top choice for photographers around the world.
In 2009, Nikon celebrated two key milestones in the lens category – the 50th anniversary of its legendary F-mount SLR lens-mounting system, making it the only manufacturer to sustain its original lens mount for such a long period, and the production of its 50 millionth NIKKOR lens. Both highlight Nikon’s dedication to producing quality and functional products that can be used by photographers for years to come.
Nikon also produces equipment such as IC and LCD steppers and scanners, instruments such as microscopes and semiconductor inspection equipment. Other products include sports optics products such as binoculars, rangefinders and fieldscopes, ophthalmic lenses and surveying instruments. It is the only major optical company in the world that still controls and manufactures every aspect of its glass-making business, allowing it to finely tune Nikon lens specifications, quality and performance.
Nikon has consolidated net global sales of 879,719 million Japanese Yen (year ending 31 March, 2009) and Nikon Corporation is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Nikon: At the heart of the image.